The Union Cabinet approved a Scheme, based on Public-Private-Partnership(PPP) model, for setting up 20 new Indian Institute of Information Technology (IIIT) in December 2010, with an outlay of Rs.2808.71 Crores (Rs.2558.71 Crores for non-recurring, Rs.200.00 Crore for recurring expenditure and Rs.50.00 Crore for faculty development expenditure). The capital cost of each IIIT is Rs.128.00 Crore to be contributed in the ratio of 50:35:15 by the Central Government, the State Government and the industry respectively (57.5:35:7.5 in case of North-Eastern region). Concerned State Government will provide 50-100 acres of land, free of cost and encumbrances.
A total of sixteen proposals from fifteen States including Gujarat (IIIT Vadodara), Karnataka (IIIT Dharwad) and Kerala (IIIT Kottayam) have been approved by the Ministry. IIIT Vadodara, Gujarat has started their Academic Session in 2013-14 with 60 students each in Computer Science and Electronics & Communication at the temporary campus at DA-ICT, Gandhinagar. There is a proposal of State Govt. of Gujarat for setting up of 2nd IIIT in PPP mode at Surat. In case of Karnataka, the Site Selection Committee (SSC) has approved 61.06 acres of land at Thadasinakoppa village, Dharwad Taluka, Dharwad, Karnataka. The Government of Karnataka has been requested for forward the MoU and MoA. In case of Kerala, Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) and Memorandum of Association (MoA) have been signed and IIIT Kottayam Kerala Society has been registered.
The Project of establishing 20 Indian Institute of Information Technology (IIITs) in Public-Private Partnership (PPP) Mode by the Government is targeted to reach full capacity in nine years from 2011-12 to 2019-20. Out of the 20, the Central Government has approved establishment of 16 Indian Institute of Information Technology (IIITs) in Public-Private Partnership (PPP) Mode. The remaining IIITs would be approved as and when the State governments are able to identify land and the industry partners.
The status on the scheme for setting up 20 new IIITs in PPP mode is as follows:
- Ministry of HRD had invited proposals from all the State Governments for setting up of the 20 IIITs.
- The State Governments who have identified land are Andhra Pradesh (Chittoor & Kakinada) Assam, Bihar, Chhattisgarh, Goa, Gujarat, Haryana, Himachal Pradesh, Jharkhand, Karnataka, Kerala, Madhya Pradesh, Maharashtra (Pune & Nagpur), Manipur, Orissa, Punjab, Rajasthan, Tamil Nadu, Tripura, West Bengal and Uttar Pradesh.
- The proposals of Andhra Pradesh(Chittoor), Andhra Pradesh (Kakinada), Assam, Gujarat, Haryana, Himachal Pradesh, Karnataka, Kerala, Madhya Pradesh, Rajasthan, Tamil Nadu , Maharashtra (Pune), Uttar Pradesh, West Bengal , Manipur and Tripura have been approved by the Ministry.
- The MoU of IIIT- Chittoor (A.P) IIIT-Kota (Rajasthan) and IIIT-Guwahati (Assam) IIIT, Vadodra (Gujarat) & IIIT, Tiruchirapalli (Tamil Nadu) , IIIT Bodhjungnagar (Tripura) and IIIT Kottayam (Kerala), IIIT Lucknow (Uttar Pradesh) & IIIT Una (Himachal Pradesh) , IIIT Senapati (Manipur) and IIIT Kalyani (West Bengal) have been signed.
- The MoU of IIIT- Chittoor (A.P), IIIT-Kota (Rajasthan) and IIIT-Guwahati (Assam) , IIIT Tiruchirapalli (Tamil Nadu), IIIT Kottayam, Kerala , IIIT Lucknow (Uttar Pradesh) IIIT, Una (Himachal Pradesh) , IIIT Vadodara (Gujarat) , IIIT Senapati, (Manipur) and IIIT Kalyani (West Bengal) have been signed and they have been registered as Societies under the Societies Registration Act, 1860.
- Academic Session has started in 2013-14 in 5 IIITs with admission in Under Graduate courses in IIIT-Kota (Rajasthan), IIIT Chitoor (Andhra Pradesh), IIIT Guwahati(Assam) and IIIT Vadodra(Gujarat) and Post Graduate Courses in Tiruchirapalli(Tamil Nadu).
- An amount of Rs. 3.75 crore during the F.Y. 2012-13 to IIIT-Kota (Rajasthan) has been released. Rs. 5.00 crores to IIIT-Guwahati, Assam, Rs. 2.8 crores to IIIT, Vadodara (Gujarat), Rs. 5.00 crores to IIIT, Tiruchirapalli (Tamil Nadu) and Rs. 2.0375 crores to IIIT Una (HP) have been released during the F.Y. 2013-14.
- Detailed Project Reports are awaited from State Government of Bihar, Chhattisgarh, Punjab, Orissa and Goa.
This information was given by the Union HRD Minister Smt. Smriti Irani in a written reply to a Lok Sabha question today.
Source: Press Information Bureau