The Union Cabinet, chaired by the Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi, has approved the signing of a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) between India and Australia on cooperation in the fields of education, training and research.
The costs of the cooperative activities under this MoU will be funded on mutually agreed terms and will be subject to availability of funds.
The MoU will help intensify existing partnerships between India and Australia in higher education & research, including technical and professional education, schools, vocational education and training and will open up new and innovative areas of cooperation.
The main objectives of this MoU, amongst other things, are:
- Consideration of expansion of the Australia India Education Council membership from time to time to ensure appropriate representation from academia, policy makers and industry as required and agreed;
- Strengthening the policy dialogue and exchange in areas of mutual benefit, including qualification and quality frameworks and standards for education, research and training;
- Supporting mobility of students and faculty members through formal exchange programs, internships and other modalities;
- Improving credit transfer arrangements and work towards qualifications recognition between Australia and India;
- Supporting and organizing professional development programmes for subject experts, educational administrators, faculty members and teachers;