A new scheme on “National Initiative to establish 20 Design Innovation Centres, one Open Design School and National Design Innovation Network” has been launched during 2013-14.
There is proposal under consideration of the Government to formulate National Innovation Policy in education sector at present. Research and innovation have also been the focal points during XII Plan.
Further, Rashtriya Uchchatar Shiksha Abhiyan (RUSA), which seeks to support and reform the state higher education system, is providing funding for Research, Innovation and Quality Improvement. The states have to prepare a Research and Innovation Plan which would include facilities that
- Support research hubs/parks etc.,
- Adopt of meta-university concept that offer cross university education and credit transfer facility to students,
- Procure high quality e-resources,
- Upgrade library and laboratory facilities,
- Facilities like incubation centers, innovation hubs,
- Initiatives to attract top-rated international faculty,
- Institutions that offer merit-based scholarships, fully-funded doctoral fellowships, post-doctoral fellowships,
- Promotion of research and entrepreneurial activities,
- Support different types of research programs – Base Research, Key Technology (R&D), High end (R&D) etc., and
- Special grants to faculty for conducting outstanding research.
This information was given by the Union Human Resource Development Minister, Smt. Smriti Irani in a written reply to the Lok Sabha question.