At present, there are 41 Central Universities under the purview of this Ministry.
In a meeting held with the Vice Chancellors of Central Universities at Banaras Hindu University, Varanasi on 6th October, 2016, the issues relating to improvement of quality of education, promoting research and innovation, faculty development, collaboration with the industry and research laboratories, effective use of technology in teaching learning process, mandatory accreditation, etc. were discussed at length.
The University Grants Commission (UGC) has introduced the following schemes/regulations/guidelines/programmes for the improvement of quality and standards in the Central Universities:-
- Mandatory accreditation of Universities with National Assessment and Accreditation Council (NAAC).
- Periodic updation of curriculum,
- Prescription of minimum qualification for appointment of teachers and other academic staff,
- Establishment of Internal Quality Assurance Cell,
- Introduction of Semester System,
- Introduction of choice-based credit system,
- Introduction of Faculty Recharge programme to augment research and teaching resources,
- Liberal financial support under the schemes of University with Potential for Excellence.
This information was given by the Minister of State (HRD), Dr. Mahendra Nath Pandey today in a written reply to a Rajya Sabha question.