YEAR END REVIEW 2013
- Rashtriya Uchchatar Shiksha Abhiyan (RUSA) is a flagship programme that has been launched with an outlay of Rs. 25000 crores under the XII Plan, ending 2017. The programme is aimed at strengthening and reforming State Higher Education. Under this scheme, 278 new universities will be set up.
- A Single Common Entrance Test for engineering and management programmes has been implemented so as to reduce the stress of several admission tests.
- Around 25 lakh students will be benefitted from an Interest Subsidy of over Rs. 2231 crores released on Educational Loans. Under the scheme, full interest subsidy is provided during the period of moratorium (i.e. duration of a recognized professional course plus 1 year, or 6 months after employment – whichever is earlier) on educational loans availed by all students belonging to economically weaker sections from scheduled banks under the Educational Loan Scheme of the Indian Banks' Association (IBA).
- 10 Model Degree Colleges, 6 new polytechnics and 25 girls hostels sanctioned in Minority Concentration Districts (MCDs) in 2012-13.
- A new National Mission on Teachers and Teaching (NMTT) is being launched to address the shortage of faculty, training and capacity building of teachers.
- National Mission on Education through Information and Communication Technology (NMEICT) launched in 2009 has provided connectivity to 403 Universities and 20,685 colleges. Under the Mission, Virtual Labs has been launched and more than 967 courses in 23 disciplines have been developed that include Web and Video courses. 50 DTH channels are being launched shortly.
- The University Grants Commission (UGC) has made accreditation of universities and colleges (other than technical institutions) mandatory so as to ensure and enhance their quality.
- 38 new Polytechnics have been operationalised under the scheme of setting up of Polytechnics.
- Over 84000 persons have participated in the non-formal, short term, skill development programmes under the Community Development through Polytechnics (CDTP) scheme till 30.11.2013.