By Prof. Dr. R. Gopal
Director, Head of the Department and former Dean of the D. Y. Patil deemed to be University School of Management
The NEP 2020 in its quest to make INDIA GREAT from the academic point of view has developed a beautiful blueprint. This article essentially talks about the implications of NEAP 2020 on Higher Education. The blueprint has already caused several DISRUPTIONS and is a Game Changer in the academic world.
Essentially the policy states:
- All HEIs will be developed as multidisciplinary institutions.
- All Universities shall have a 3-year or 4-year undergraduate program.
- Transfer of credits will be possible through the creation of an Academic Bank of Credits
- All faculties will have to undergo a continuous professional development program.
- All universities shall ensure the holistic development of the child and provide mentorship and counseling for the child.
- Interdisciplinary studies between the various faculties shall be encouraged and given a boost.
The environment has thrown several challenges viz.
- Changing student demograph9es
- Information blast
- Growth of FOR-PROFIT institutions
- Changing nature of workplace from job security to job insecurity
- Shift in the nature of work – towards work from home
- New technologies impacting almost every day. etc.
With these changes, the importance of education has also undergone several changes. These changes are impacting society at a very fast rate.
Further, The demands of the stakeholders have also changed drastically.
The student for e.g. is interested in something more than what is available in the books, correlation with the industry happenings and finally a good placement either as a researcher, a faculty or as industry personnel.
The parents on the other hand are interested in a good education for the child, good placements a good socially responsible citizen.
The statutory authorities are more concerned with the compliances of the rules and regulations
The industry expects the student to have good application knowledge and holistic development.
From the above, we can therefore conclude that the essence of any education is to ensure that the student should have a rounded development. He / She should be a good citizen and contribute to society at large. SERVICE TO HUMANITY IS THE KEY.
This is what the NEP 2020 be at the school level or at the Higher Education Level aims at and therefore it is truly a GAME CHANGER.
The GURUKOOL system of ancient India endeavored that students were taught all the skills that are required for the sustenance of life. While imparting knowledge special emphasis was given to develop those skills which the student would like to make a choice in the future and which would benefit both himself and the society. Thus, an OPPORTUNITY was given to develop his skills and excel in life.
How can we as faculties and stakeholders achieve this?
In order to achieve this, I would suggest a 10-point strategy. These strategies are based on the discussion with several stakeholders.
- Use of innovative teaching like reverse teaching, experiential learning, mind mapping techniques etc.
- Organizing industrial visits both domestic and international visits.
- Organizing guest lectures, like enlighten lectures, live projects etc. so as go bring the industry to the class room.
- Industry institute interaction projects
- Institutional Social Responsibility projects
- Skill development curriculum
- Creating of e cells and incubation centres
- Creating a study at will situation through the implementation of Learning Management System.
- Introduce special classes for communication skill development, negotiation skills, knowledge about the constitution, ethical behaviour, etc.
- A happy faculty can only spread happiness therefore work from home, flexible timing for the faculty, creating a work-life balance, etc.
The whole objective of these strategies should be to
Make learning a pleasure and not a BORING activity.
In the end if we can implement a few of the above strategies, in my opinion, we have captured the ESSENCE OF EDUCATION—which is to ensure that
He / She should be a good citizen and contribute to society at large. SERVICE TO HUMANITY IS THE KEY.